Monday, February 23, 2009

Love - Day 9

Today I thought I would share with you the LOVE of my life that I thought would never happen....

From the time I was a young girl, we had always had a dog in our house. I loved our first dog. He was a beagle named Apple Jak. He was with us until I was in college. I loved that dog. He was MY DOG. AJ would sleep with me, be happy to see me, always want to be with me. I couldn't image life without my dog. I hadn't thought about ever owning a cat. My family hadn't considered ourselves cat people. Cats were solitary creatures. They preferred to be left alone. Cats weren't "fun" like a dog.
When Cory and I started dating, he talked about his pets. He too was a dog person, but had also owned cats. He had always thought about owning both cats and dogs. When we were married, we lived in apartments, so we didn't want to pay more to own a pet.
Things would change when Ian was a year old. His attention and focus was on kitties. He loved kitties. He was content to play with all of his stuffed kitties. He loved cats. He was ecstatic when he would go to someone's house who owed a cat. He went for years wanting a real kitty. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but Cory thought we should get Ian a kitty for his 5th birthday. We looked at a couple of kitties at Vatterott (the school I was teaching at), and couldn't decide on which one we wanted, so we ended up with both Sherman (our orange tabby) and Patches (our calico).
They play so well together. Even Sherman will call when you call his name, just like a dog. LOL :-) We have been fortunate to own very social cats. They are not the solitary animals, I once envisioned.
I couldn't believe how quickly I warmed up to them. Even now, Patches seems to be "mine." She is quite happy to snuggle up with me and lie in my lap while I watch tv. Even now, as I type this, she is snuggling with me. I never thought I would come to love cats. Now I can't imagine life without them.

No comments: