I was catching up on my blog reading and realized that I had won them!! Thanks, Sherry!!!!
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Alex is truly my child. He may have Cory's looks, but his attitude and actions are all me. There are times when I would love to boot this child to the curb, but I always come back to reasons why I love this kid. Alex is so fun loving. He is quick to smile and laugh, just like Ian. Alex's smile lights up his face and makes me smile too. Unfortunately, this child is growing up and finding all those attitudes and ideas of a soon-to-be teenager. Alex and I butt heads all the time, and that is clearly because we are so much alike. I know that I am quick to yell at him, and sometimes without reason :-( But then there are times when he will completely forget that and do something small, like come and give me a hug goodnight, that makes me forget why I was mad and had yelled. I know that as he gets older that he will continue to do things that amaze me and make me so proud to be his mom. I cannot tell this child enough that I love him. I just hope that he truly realizes that even when Cory and I won't buy him those games he wants when we're out at the store. lol :-)
Friday, February 27, 2009
2. Why do I have so much scrapbook stuff and not any time to scrapbook?
3. How does this program work, anyway?
4. Every morning, I put the key in the car and drive myself to school.
5. I consider myself lucky because I have a family I love and friends who are only a phone call away.
6. One day we'll see ourselves in a our own home.
7. As for the weekend, I am looking forward to dinner out with my favorite boys. Tomorrow my plans include going to the outlet mall and some road tripping up to the mountains, and Sunday I want to organize myself for the SSNA retreat next weekend.
Last year, I met a friend of mine who teaches here in Gwinnett County. She convinced me that I needed to move from Nebraska to Georgia and teach here. I was a bit hesitant about the idea of moving so far from home, but I applied nonetheless. I really didn't expect to be offered a job, so when I was and for a comparable salary that I was leaving in Nebraska, we packed up and moved to Buford, Georgia, July 2008.
As this year has progressed, I have loved being back in the high school setting again. I am teaching algebra 1 and algebra 2 - my favorites!! I have been fortunate to teach some pretty awesome kids. This year has been one of the few where I have not had any major discipline problems and the students are actually pretty polite (kinda surprising at times for teenagers...lol).
I am truly thankful for the move and our live now here in Georgia. Another plus has been that I have been able to meet several of my online friends from Scrapshare in real life. These women are fabulous, and so welcoming to anyone new in the area. I just wish we all lived a bit closer to get together a little more often.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
I guess if I would quit procrastinating, get off the computer, and quit playing with my iPod, that I could make a dent in this pile....
I have always loved reading. I remember sneaking a flashlight under my covers to keep reading after my mom had told me to go to bed. I just could never put a good book down. With life being the way it has been lately, I have to put my love of reading off to the wayside. I look longingly at my books every night before I drift off to sleep because I am too exhausted to even read a page or two :-(
Once life seems to call down a bit though, you can guarantee you will find me with a book in hand at some point. Now if I could just instill this love I have to my dear children....
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
I'm a self-proclaimed procrastinator anyway, so anything I can do to procrastinate is good (like right now, I should be grading tests). I've just come across a couple of great blogs that I thought I would pass along to everyone.
Altered to Perfection -- MidniteScrapper is a friend I've met on Scrapshare and I can't believe the cute altered items she has on her Etsy store
Mojo Monday -- since cards are slowly becoming something I am toying with, this blog offers weekly sketches that could be adapted for my scrapbook pages
PaperKrazy Creations -- MidniteScrapper posted about this Etsy shop
I guess with the end of the month approaching I better talk about my kids, ha ha!! I'll start with Ian here. :-)
Ian is my "baby." I love this child for exactly who is. I wouldn't or want him to change for anything or anyone. Ian is my precocious child. He's been identified as gifted and trying to keep up with his thirst for knowledge can be exhausting. His favorite subjects are math (gotta love that :-) ) and science. He loves to draw, write, read, play, everything a 6 year old loves to do. There really isn't much Ian does not like. His love though is kitties. He loves Sherman and Patches, although they tend to shy away from his "craziness" and "wildness." He will quickly share with anyone who comes over his stuffed kitty collection and the scrapbooks I've made to show his collection.
There are times when I feel down or angry. To feel better I simply have to look at Ian's smile. I love his smile. His smile lights up his face and puts a smile on anyone looking at him. His laugh is just as infectious. He starts laughing and pretty soon everyone else is too.
I love how he is content to hang out with mom :-) Even as I type this, he is sitting next to me drawing his Bakugon board that he wants for his birthday in two months. I will cherish whatever time I can get with him because I know that when he gets older it won't be "cool" to hang out with mom. Ian can just ask Alex that...LOL
Monday, February 23, 2009
Saw this on Facebook and decided to post it here on my blog instead. It's quite simple Just go to Google and type in quotes "[Your name] needs" and then post the first 10 things that show up. Here's what, according to Google I need:
1. Cori needs a forever home wth a loving and caring individual who will give her plenty of attention and an occasional treat. Ain't this the truth...a real house would be great. Treats are always welcome too :-)
2. Cori needs to eat 1 banana for each mile she travels. Bananas are good for me. I never seem to have enough in the house. Guess I've been traveling quite a few miles.
3. Cori needs major reform. Of what?!
4. Cori needs instruction, modeling, and reinforcement. Don't we all?!
5. Cori needs numbers!! Just like any good math teacher :-)
6. What Cori needs now: Inspiration, perspiration and creativity. How did Google know this?!
7. Cori needs to turn 3 more or gain 75 more Vampire points to reach the next level.
8. Cori needs to bite some chumps!!
9. Cori needs your help to win this major international online competition. Didn't realize I had done this. Must have been I won those millions from Afica or something.
10. Cori needs fixing. And unfortunately, that could take a life time to fix.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Our apartment has this small sunroom which is just wide enough for my 4 ft table to sit in with my computer. When we moved in, I told Cory that this space was mine! It's perfect for all my scrapbook stash, especially since there is a small storage closet just to the right of the windows that I keep all my bags and cricut and other large stuff in. I love that I have a place to call my own. The boys know not to touch "Mom's stuff" or "Mom's computer" and even the cats are happy because when I have my stuff all strewn around, the boys aren't allowed near here (lol, so the cats are safe from being tormented, plus the cats love the big windows). I don't scrapbook nearly enough as I would like, even though I look at my stuff everyday. But knowing that I can scrapbook when I want is a great feeling. Some day when we have a house, Cory has already told me that I can get more of the organizational stuff that I just don't have room for now. He's such a great hubby that "gets" my hobby and will even encourage the hobby at times. I LOVE how I have a hobby that allows me to celebrate our lives together and a place that I can have to work when I want.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Friday, February 20, 2009
2. Whenever I am feeling down, Cory can tell and will give me a hug.
3. I wish my family lived closer.
4. Buttery croissants from Joey D's Oak Room were the last thing I ate that were utterly delicious.
5. To live in this world you need to live each day as if it could be your last, not be afraid to take risks.
6. Other than this one, my friend, Nadya's blog is the last blog I commented on.
7. As for this weekend, tonight I am looking forward to being in downtown Atlanta for the Georgia State Beta Club convention, tomorrow my plans include returning the rental van and going to Marta's house to make some cards, and Sunday I want to scrapbook a few pages and upload pictures to have printed for my retreat in two weeks.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Cory and I had talked about purchasing a new bed when we got our tax return back. After enjoying a scrumptious Valentine's dinner, I convinced Cory to go looking at furniture, since conveniently there was a furniture store at the mall. The salesman did the convincing when he mentioned the store's President's Day sale. We were even able to get quite a deal on a floor sample mattress. This is Cory's and I's first major furniture purchase, and I LOVE it! I was a little shaky handing over that check the other night, but when it was delivered yesterday and I slept on this super comfy bed in my comfy fleece sheets, I knew it was worth every. single. penny. we spent on it.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
I LOVE this show!! I'm a self-proclaimed tv junkie, but I don't really watch a lot of reality tv. Over the summer, we all started watching re-runs of the Amazing Race on the Travel Channel. Thanks to our TiVo we were able to catch all of last season (I was happy that Nick & Starr won). Tonight, season 14 starts. I love this show because I get to live vicariously and travel with them each week. I also love this show because it is one of the few shows that all 4 of us will sit down and watch together, since normally Cory is watching his history/news programs, me with my dramas, and the boys with their cartoons.
Can't wait to see who wins this season, and who I will be so happy to watch lose the race each week! :-)
Saturday, February 14, 2009
(here Cory is doing what he loves - relaxing, playing video games, and being with Ian and Sherman. He likes Alex & Patches too, they just weren't around. LOL)
Here is the description of the award:“These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award.”
So, now I tag the following eight blogging friends:
I enjoy these ladies and I really like reading their blogs and keeping in touch with them in the blog universe!
The rules are that you find the 6th photo in the 6th album on your computer. Huh, I wonder what that is.....
It's not an awful picture of me or something. LOL
This picture is of Ian from his first season of soccer back in October of 2006. Ian loved going to practice and playing with his teamates. When it came time for games though, Ian was content to follow after everyone and enjoy his time on the sideline. Cory and I enjoyed watching him have a good time out on the soccer field. Even now, Ian will tell you that he loves playing soccer. I just wish that he was on a team again (we're still trying to find leagues here in Georgia, not that there is a shortage or anything. Just need to find the right fit). Hopefully in the fall, Ian and Alex will both be playing soccer again, and I can resume my soccer mom role. :-)
Friday, February 13, 2009
2. Turn the lights off when you're done, please.
3. If I thought you would work for me, I'd be thrilled!
4. Friendship is what I think of most when I think of you.
5. To me, Valentine's Day means just another day. I would rather have Cory and the boys show me love and affection throughout the year than on one day.
6. Cory gives me strength.
7. As for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to hanging out as a family going to dinner and doing some shopping, tomorrow Cory and I have a date planned (our first one in months :-) ), and Sunday we'll just hang out, clean, and hopefully do some scrapbooking.
Friday, February 6, 2009
2. Can you let me sleep longer in the morning?
3. The color RED makes me want to go back home (GO BIG RED!)
4. I have a craving for pizza.
5. If my life had a pause button, I'd pause it so I could have enough time to work on my dissertation without having to miss other parts of my life.
6. Eyes are the window to the soul (thanks for this one, Benita!).
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to hanging out with the boys, tomorrow my plans include scrapping with a few friends at Cathryn's house,and Sunday, I want to not do anything, but I will probably clean and work on my dissertation.